Choosing a sports bra is not like shopping for an everyday bra. You need to have in mind not only your cup size but also what sport you’re buying that bra for – because that will require a specific level of support.
On the National Women’s Health and Fitness Day, we want to underline the importance of comfort during physical activities. And comfort comes from the right-fitting bra.
Why is buying the right bra so important? Is wearing a sports bra during physical activity important?
First, buying the right sports bra is essential mainly for three reasons:
- It avoids skin irritation caused by sweat and other external agents.
- They help you avoid discomfort. Good-quality sports bras are designed to handle movement and motion so that when you move, they will provide maximum support and hold your breasts firmly in place.
- If a bra is too small, it could restrict breathing and pinch your skin while moving. If it is too large, its support function will be ineffective.
Why is it necessary to have a sports bra?
Studies have shown that during high impact activities such as running, breast tissue could be damaged due to the breast’s movement. Regular bras, and particularly the wired ones, increase the risks of tissue damage. On the contrary, sports bras can highly reduce bounce during low-medium impact activities and decrease the breast’s movement in high impact activities.
Wearing a sports bra makes your workout more comfortable and therefore has a positive impact on your training session.
When to use which bra?
Wearing a sports bra while exercising is important. However, you should always bear in mind that different sports demand different type of support.
Low impact activities such as walking and yoga and medium impact sports as dancing, skiing and cycling, generally require a bra featuring a cup-less design. This type of bra manages to reduce movement by compressing the breasts tightly against the chest wall.
However, high impact activities such as running, aerobics, or mountain biking require higher support to avoid movement as much as possible: this is why bras feature a clear cup structure to give full support.
What was said before serves as general rules. However, you should also consider your breasts size. Women with larger bust should always opt for extra support.
What to look for in a sports bra?
Besides considering what sport you’re purchasing the sports bra for, you should also look for some more features.
- Adjustable. The possibility of adjusting your bra is important to increase your support, thus comfort. The adjustable feature refers both to straps and back hooks.
- Bra cup size. If a sports bra only comes in small, medium and large, they may be too generic and may cause discomfort while exercising.
- Breathable material. Since you’re probably going to sweat during an activity, it’s important to have a breathable bra which will avoid possible skin irritations.